The Volunteer Wildfire Services Trail Challenge is probably the best way to start off your Mother’s Day, 8th May 2015. Come in early for a scamper on the best mountain in the country and win that special lady a really cool prize!
The 11th edition of the VWS Trail Challenge is open to test the mettle
of avid trail runners (and walkers). Experience beautiful Deer Park, the lower
slopes of Devils Peak and Table Mountain, overlooking the majesty of early
morning Cape Town. The challenge offers runners a chance to do two routes: 25km
or 10km. And this year the race will take you through some of the areas that
have seen, firsthand, the destruction of wildfires that we helped combat.
|25km Route||10km Route|
|Price - R255||Price - R175|
|Briefing - 07:15||Briefing - 08:15|
|Start - 07:30||Start - 08:30|
|Cut off – 4 Hours||Cut off – 3 Hours|
Run and organised entirely by our firefighters, all proceeds go towards
the VWS, an entirely volunteer-run, non-profit organisation dedicated to the
protection of biodiversity and the preservation of our natural heritage. We
receive no government funding. All funds are used for operational
expenses to fight wildfires - and via donations or events like this. Any
donations are welcome and would be greatly appreciated - they all help us
battle too frequent wildfires and protect the wildland – urban interface. The
race Start and Finish located in Deer Park, Vredehoek.
You can find all the race maps, race descriptions and maps to the start
below. Also thank you to all those sponsors who have made this race possible.
Come and join the VWS yellows for a great day on our mountain!
Newlands Fire Base, Newlands Forest – Map HERE
Wednesday 4th May, 17:30 - 19:00
Thursday 5th May, 17:30 - 19:00
Saturday 7th May, 10:00 - 13:00
|The 10 km race presents runners with non-technical terrain, all on established trails & tracks with a mostly runnable gradient intersected with some steep ascent and descent that may require walking. The race starts at Deer Park and heads in the direction of Devils Peak along undulating jeep tracks. This is followed by a short but steep uphill before changing direction and running back toward the cable station side along a zigzagging easily runnable section. There is one large uphill on the route heading towards a water station and turn around by the S-bends near the cable way. Heading back, the route does undulates but mainly downhill before the finish line.||The 25 km route challenges runners with some large up-hills but rewards them with beautiful views and easy running on non-technical, established trails & tracks. The race starts at Deer park and heads in the direction of Rhodes Memorial along undulating jeep track before going up to Plum Pudding Hill. The route loops round and comes back above UCT. Runners progress back along the face of Devils Peak before a short but steep hill. The route zigzags down to the next water station at 17.5 km, after which the runners then head toward the S-Bends below the cable station and begin the last leg with a majority of downhill back to the finish at Deer Park.|
· The Volunteer Wildfire Services reserves the right to cancel the race (without refund) if the conditions on the day do not allow for the race to be run safely.
· All Entrants must be in possession of a race number issued by the organisers, which must be worn on the front.
· Participants must keep to the designated routes, as indicated.
· Marshals and traffic officials must be obeyed at all times. Failure to comply with these instructions may lead to immediate disqualification.
· No seconding shall be allowed on the route. Sufficient refreshment stations will be provided.
· No littering permitted at any stage.
· Damage to Flora/Fauna or any historical site will lead to automatic disqualification.
· No unauthorised cyclists, vehicles, rollerblades or scooters will be permitted on the route.
· It is the responsibility of each participant that he/she is medically fit and healthy to participate in the event.
· The Volunteer Wildfire Services reserves the right to accept or reject any entry.
· Minimum age of 16 for the 25 km race. Minimum age of 14 for the 10 km race. Between 12 and 14 y/o allowed if accompanied by guardian.
· Pets are not permitted.
· While the Volunteer Wildfire Services places participant and member safely above any other priority or obligation, Volunteer Wildfire Services will not be held liable for any injuries.
Please note that by submitting your entry form you declare that you are physically and medically fit to participate in this event and assume all risks of such participation. You participate in the race at your own risk and hereby Indemnify the organiser, officials, all helpers, all sponsors, the national and provincial bodies, local authorities, SANParks, Table Mountain National Park and the Volunteer Wildfire Services against injuries and any claim whatsoever which may arise as a result of your participation.
The Cape Aflame Project, a citizen-led initiative born of...
When American postdoctoral student and volunteer firefighter...
It’s hard to describe how the thought of fire consumes...
Event Date: May 14 2017
Volunteer Wildfire Services Trail Challenge 2017 Proudly...
Event Date: April 23 2017
As volunteer firefighters we battle the wildfires that sweep...
Event Date: April 23 2017
Race for Water 2017 Edition - NEW VENUE! This year we are...
CO REGISTRATION NO. 2005/027/497/08, PBO NUMBER - 930020462 PBO & NPO FUND RAISING NO. 048-645-NPO